Friday, June 4, 2010

WARNING: Medical Alert.

Many of you know that I started this blog in an effort to help others. Little did I know it would lead me down the road to discovering a huge medical disorder!

STEPHOBIA!

Definition: Please do not confuse this with, Climacophobia, which is the fear of just walking up or down stairs. The is the fear of using the stairs while accomplishing a task! I came across this problem at the beginning of my stay at home career but wanted to conduct a complete study to document my theory.

Case Study: The study started on March 1st with four subjects; two females and two males, which consisted of one adult, one young adult, one teenager and one preteen. The study lasted for the period of three months and ended on June 1st.

Finding: All four subjects suffer from chronic STEPHOBIA! 100%

I was shocked! Who knows how many individuals could be living with this disease? There could be victim in your home!

STEPHOBIA can be identified very easily. Warning signs that you may have a victim in your home do not have to involve the stairs at all! Things like not putting a new roll of toilet paper on the holder, leaving shoes in the doorway instead of placing them where they belong, putting the trash in the garage but not carrying it 15 more feet to the can or leaving a wet bath towel on a floor instead of hanging it up, are all indicators of STEPHOBIA in its infant stage.

In its developed stage the victims will walk past a full laundry basket and not make any effort to carry it up or down the stairs! They will write items on the grocery list without going down to the pantry or freezer to check and see if there are any more of said item. They will come through the door that doesn't require stairs no matter how dirty they are! They consistently yell to individuals up or downstairs instead of coming to speak with them and get angry if you don't hear them. Most of them are harmless unless you ask them to bring you something down the steps..chances are the item you asked for will come to you in the form of a projectile from above! (Use Caution it can hurt!)

I can not give anyone a cure for this disease but I am hopeful that once my article to the New England Medical Journal is published I will be able receive research funding.

I can only offer some advice on how to minimize its impact on your day to day life. Catch phases like, "you can't go there tonight" or "they can't come over to play" seem to help deter this ailment or actions like not buying the item on the grocery list which is in the pantry or freezer until they go check or leaving their laundry at the bottom of the stairs seems to help.

I believe this is huge and any feedback in helping me find a cure would be greatly appreciated.

The good news of my finding is that the stay at home parent DOESN'T suffer from this ailment..thank goodness for the "Domestic Gods and Goddess"!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud!! Finally I have a name for the illness! I thought it only existed in my home!! Thank you for sharing and helping me to see that I am not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I suffer from stephobia, I related to your analysis. Please include the two adults in my household as positive sufferers. The problem is that we can't say "You can't go out and play." or "You can't attend whatever event" until everything disappears from the steps. Any advice you can share publicly?

    ReplyDelete