Friday, April 30, 2010

Retirement

I asked my elderly neighbor if she would like me to mow her lawn for her; she thanked me for looking out for her and asked if I would. She has been alone for many years and looks forward to talking to anyone who will listen to her stories of better times. I mowed the yard on a week day, during the day! After listening to several tales of days gone by , I got started. Once I was finished she came out and thanked me again and offered to pay me, which I declined, but she shoved a check in pocket. As I said goodbye to this kind old lady, she asked me if "I was retired" !

Bitch! Retired, do I look as old as you? Sure, I am a card holding member of the Bus Stop Coffee Club, I have paper cuts on my fingers from coupon clipping, the greeters at Wal-Mart know me by name and I yell at the mailman if he is late but "Retired"

Do I walk up to you and ask if you "are living". NO!

My mower isn't self propelled, I pushed that puppy for the two freaking hours it took to mow your crabgrass filled lot. Retired! Those three filthy animals that I take care of everyday are my "kids", not my "grand kids". Retired.

I can not find any good in here question so I am going to take a nap before the noon news!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! She hit a nerve, didn't she! But, anyway, your heart was pure when you decided to help her. I'm not so sure about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you retired?

    /me ducks and runs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Damn it! I am unemployed and going crazy...not to be confused with retirement!

    ReplyDelete