Monday, March 1, 2010

A Dilemma!

Back on my shopping rounds; I found myself in all new territory. It is a store that nothing is small; no...not the Big and Tall store, what the hell would I be doing there! They need to open a Small and Short store for me! It was Costco. (similar to a Sam's Club). My goal was to just stop and pick up our photos but I decided to try and get some things crossed off the Wal-mart list.

What an unbelievable place! The first dilemma was the shopping cart; I knew I was in trouble when I had to reach "up" to grab the handle! The damn thing was huge! I had to look through the metal bars on the side so that I didn't clip another shopper. I didn't make it through the doors when the first employee had to speak with me; you have to show your membership card to get in, why? And how the heck did you see me behind the boat I'm pushing? Once in inside, you have to proceed down aisles that are stacked to the ceiling with merchandise. I was like a tourist walking down the streets of New York for the first time; head up in the air and not even watching where I'm going. After causing several shopper some leg pain while trying to read the boxes on the upper shelves, I realized that the only things you can buy are located on the lower shelves. Sorry folks.

The first area I waded into was the health and beauty section. Q-tips and bar soap, easy. I quickly found the soap and was amazed that to purchase one bar, you needed to purchase ten bars! Ten bars of soap, how long will that last...a real long time. I understand buying in bulk but this is a little more than necessary. Seemed like a bargain so I tossed the lunker pack of soap up into the cart and moved on to find the Q-tips. Now I love Q-tips as much as the next person; I mean there is nothing like a Q-tip ear cleaning that makes one eye (same side as ear being cleaned)squeeze close because it tickles, but who needs a three hundred and fifty count box of them? Again, seemed like a good bargain, so they got the big toss up into the cart.

Before I knew it, that boat of a cart was full. Fifteen cans of green beans, wrench set, fifteen cans of corn, eight piece screw driver set, three bottles of ketchup, shop vac, two bottles of mustard, countless Nutri-grain bars, picture frame, sleeping bag, hand warmers, etc. Since my shoulders were starting to get sore from lifting and throwing items up into the cart and the only thing I had crossed off my list was soap and Q-tips, I decided to find bottle water and move on. Once I found the waters, I was glad they were in the rear of the store because there would have been no way for me to get those up into the cart. I quickly slid them on to the shelve underneath and headed for the check out line.

This is where dilemma number two happens. How was I going to get that stuff out of the cart? I quickly placed the case of bottle water on the ground and stood on it to recover my booty!

Well, that was all the shopping for the day, I had to move all of the cleaning chemicals at home to find a place for all this food stuff! And get my work area in the garage straightened up :-)

I bet my wife will be proud of me for saving so much!

That is where dilemma number three started....

1 comment:

  1. You really do NOT belong at Costco. I saw the 'extras' that you had put in the giganto-basket. My prediction is that your wife was not impressed!

    Stay with the purple-haired, elbow-jabbing ladies(and I use that term loosely) at your local supermarket. I don't think they carry the wrench and screwdriver sets,and I'll bet there are no hand warmers and sleeping bags.

    I have to say that your organizational tactics with the coupons are impressive. Learn all you can from this experience since it'll probably end soon.

    ReplyDelete