Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 11 - Tar

Picking up where I was yesterday, I attacked the floors this morning! Once again, I gathered the bucket, mop styled cleaning tool and made a random selection from the chemical collection. I prepared the floors by sweeping; amazed at the volume of miscellaneous debris from all areas. I started to mop the entry floor from the garage with enthusiasm when I realized that many of the marks were not disappearing. Maybe if I press harder, no. How about if I use a sponge. no. O.K. a scrub brush will work, no! Upon closer examination I realized that it was "tar"! You have to be kidding me. It is January in Pittsburgh; the temperature has not been out of the 20's for a month, you can't even buy the stuff at Home Depot now! There will not be enough days in the week for the amount of therapy I will need!

I immediately began to check the sole of every shoe I could find. Why in the world can't these kids take their shoes off and neatly put them together? One shoe is two feet away from its mate. I can't wait until they get home from school. After twenty minutes of searching and straightening shoes I was no closer to solving the problem or finishing the task.

The simple solution was the same technique used to clean grease off of a tool or part; gas! I got the gas from the shed with new renewed enthusiasm knowing that the job would soon be done. While searching for a container to pour the gas in a came across the Goo-Gone in the chemical stash. I hadn't had time to check this out yesterday in my panic but paused to do so now. Making an executive decision, I decide to try the Goo-Gone first...BAM...tar was coming up! The smell was strong but after five minutes or so I began to enjoy the citrus aroma. I was so excited, I ran into the bathroom and tried it on the over spray on the toilets (still and issue-can't wait to they get home). It took me several hours but I did ever floor with this stuff! I wonder how much a bottle of this costs?

A bit of advise; use extreme caution if you do an entire area with this product, you could slip and fall when you go across it in your socks. I think the fumes may some effect also.

No comments:

Post a Comment