Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 8 - The Grocery Store

After getting the kids off to school, I thought I would venture out to the grocery store so to beat the embarrassment of being a rookie shopper. With total confidence, I proudly entered with my list in hand. Produce was the first section and I immediately spied the bananas and lettuce; two items down, this is easy. As I made my way through produce, it became apparent that I was not the only one who thinks that shopping early is a good idea. There was a least another dozen or so shoppers and "none" of them were of my gender. The only male in sight was an elderly produce employee quietly arranging his grapes in the corner. Suddenly, I saw her coming towards me; a friend of my younger son's mother, I managed a smile and prepared for the conversation. As expected she immediately inquired as to why I was out shopping. I briefly explained my situations and politely asked how she was. She began to tell me how she had to shop early for supplies for a PTA event and without missing a beat proceeded to explain why "men like me" need to be more active in the PTA. (Men like me! What does that mean?) I nodded in agreement and then excused myself to resume my shopping. I proceeded to aisle 2, where I left my cart with the bananas and lettuce and came home. I think I'll try again tomorrow, at a different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment